Re: Web Components Suggestion

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:43:29 -0700
To: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>
Cc: Dave Geddes <davidcgeddes@gmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's my understanding that if you want to define a strict parser using a DTD
> that describes the markup, it's impossible to introduce arbitrary tage names
> (as in there are not tag wildcards in a DTD). A document that used arbitrary
> tags could not be validated.

What Dimitri said, but to address your comment directly, DTD-based
validation is long-dead, at least when applied to HTML.  A DTD can't
capture the validity requirements that the HTML spec already imposes,
so it's irrelevant if it also can't validate a document containing
custom elements.  The current validator used by the W3C is a
combination of (iirc) constrains expressed in Schematron and custom
Java code.

~TJ