Re: Making <template> play nice with XML and tags-and-text

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

I agree.

I feel like this proposal reduces some complexity in the parsing
model, at the cost of increasing complexity in a lot of other parts of
the system.

I'll also note that this doesn't help with things like querySelector
since that usually selects all elements with a certain localName,
independent of namespace. Likewise with getElementsByTagName.

Why is it that we are so much more concerned about the DOM-building
during XML parsing, than we are about DOM-building during HTML
parsing?

I think we for years have been complaining about XML parsing being too
different from HTML parsing in bad ways. HTML5 did some to help the
two move closer together. I'd rather continue on that path than create
more splits again.

I can certainly see being less concerned about introducing complexity
for XML users given that there are a lot fewer of those than HTML
users. Is that the reasoning here?

/ Jonas