Re: GamepadObserver (ie. MutationObserver + Gamepad)

From: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 11:16:37 +0200
To: olli@pettay.fi
Cc: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, Scott Graham <scottmg@chromium.org>, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Ted Mielczarek <ted@mielczarek.org>
On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM, bugs@pettay.fi <bugs@pettay.fi> wrote:

> The update rate depends on the device. Tablet updates reach way beyond
>> 120HZ and even my 3D mouse clocks in at about 500 events/s. And a major
>> obstacle for a realtime input device is when the realtime app trying to
>> use it stutters/jitters every quarter second because of 180-250ms GC-pauses
>>

> That long GC pauses are bugs in the implementations. File some bugs on all
> the browser engines you see it (after testing latest nightly builds).

It doesn't matter if they're bugs (I often see them in conjunction to array
buffer allocation). Even at the best of times the GC-pauses are no less
than 90ms, and even if you got it down to 60ms, that's still more than 5
frames @80hz. Until you get GC-pauses down to ~5ms or so, any GC use will
introduce unpleasant stuttering/jittering. And even then it's a close call
to not miss a frame.