Re: Making <template> play nice with XML and tags-and-text

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:43:23 +0000 (UTC)
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
cc: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Adam Klein <adamk@chromium.org>, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@chromium.org>
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Adam Barth wrote:
> Inspired by a conversation with hsivonen in #whatwg, I spend some time
> thinking about how we would design <template> for an XML world.  One
> idea I had was to put the elements inside the template into a namespace
> other than http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml.

Interesting idea.

To handle multiple namespaces (specifically SVG and MathML), we could say
that "inert" namespaces are namespaces that start with or end with a
particular prefix, e.g. that are in the inert: scheme or that end with
#inert. Then to de-inert nodes, you just strip the relevant part of the
namespace string when cloning.

To make this work in HTML with nested namespaces might be interesting:

I guess what we do in the HTML parser is have it use all the same
codepaths as now, except the "create an element" operations check if
there's a <template> on the stack, and if there is, then they add the
inert marker to the namespace, but everything else in the parser acts as
if the marker is not there?