Re: [XHR] What referrer to use when making requests

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:33 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> What is the reason for this? This seems less consistent than using the
>> same document as we use for things like same-origin checks and
>> resolving relative urls. In general, we've been trying to move away
>> from using the "entry script" in Gecko for things since it basically
>> amounts to using a global variable which tends to be a source of bugs
>> and unexpected behavior.
>
> Really? All new APIs still use the entry script to determine origin,
> base URL, and such. The reason is that HTML fetch works this way and
> provides no overrides and last time we discussed this nobody thought
> it was important enough to create an override just for XMLHttpRequest.

When I researched this several years ago, this behavior was consistent
across non-WebKit browsers, so I changed WebKit to match other
browsers (and the spec).  The entry script is used fairly consistently
throughout the platform to set the Referer.

Adam