Re: [UndoManager] Re-introduce DOMTransaction interface?

On 07/06/2012 02:01 AM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:

>> In your version, you need to remember the order of the arguments, which
>> requires you looking it up each time. If we do decide to add the
>> DOMTransaction constructor back, we should keep passing it a dictionary as
>> it's argument. Or maybe take the label and a dictionary as arguments.
>>

> That's true of almost all other Web APIs when used in ECMAScript 5. I'm not
> sympathetic to the argument that you have to remember orders in which
> arguments appear because that's true of all functions in ES5, C++, and
> various other programming languages.

That just isn't true. Many web APIs solve the lack of named arguments in
javascript by accepting an object with arguments. For example both
jQuery and prototype use this pattern in their XHR APIs. Insofar as it
doesn't follow this pattern, DOM is very much the odd one out. But in
fact we already realise that having many positional arguments is a bad
pattern, hence dictionary types.