Re: Quota Management API error codes

From: Maxime RETY <maxime.rety@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 18:11:53 +0200
To: public-webapps@w3.org

> Sorry for being unclear.
>
> I would like to see the standard to include what happens when a page
> requests quota using requestQuota, but the UA doesn't fulfill the request
> because of some user configured policies (and not because it's just not
> possible).
>
> This would allow a web site to display a more sensible message to the user
> (e.g. "please enable storage" vs "your harddrive seems to be full")
>
>  -jochen

+1  to standardize a way to detect configured policies.

Back in time, Google Gears at least raised an exception with the following
message: "Page does not have permission to use Google Gears.".

Today, we may have to guess why a request is blocked...

Was it because the user didn't allow indexedDB ?
Was it because the user is in "private browsing mode" ?
Was it because the user reached a maximum quota ?

If in every situation a "QuotaExceededError" is raised, then a web
application can't advise the user appropriately.

Being a developer of offline web applications since 4 years, I personally
feel the need of such a clarification. But I don't know if it belongs to
the requestQuota standard or to the standards that use the storage
capability...

Note: in Firefox 16 (alpha), implementers chose to raise an
"InvalidStateError" when the user did not allow indexedDB at all, and a
"QuotaExceededError" when the user did not allow to extend the maximum
quota (50MB).

--
Maxime