Re: [xhr] statusText is underdefined

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 01:52:25 -0600
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:23:15 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> But the HTTP status text is a sequence of bytes, while the return value
>> for statusText is a DOMString.  The conversion from one to the other needs
>> to be defined.
>>

> Would using http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-**file/tip/Overview.html#**
> inflate-a-byte-sequence-into-**a-domstring<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#inflate-a-byte-sequence-into-a-domstring>be sufficient or is there something in particular we should do?

Well, that would define a specific, definite algorithm. Never mind that it
would introduce random bytes into DOMStrings that may or may not have
anything to do with character data.

I personally think a better solution is simply to dictate that reason
status *always* be interpreted as ISO-8859-1, which would, in effect, make
the inflate algorithm well defined; i.e., no longer simply random bytes.