Re: [xhr] statusText is underdefined

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:38:49 -0700
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org
On 3/27/12 3:36 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 3/27/12 3:35 PM, Glenn Adams wrote:
>> The TEXT rule is only used for descriptive field contents and values
>> that are not intended to be interpreted by the message parser. Words
>> of *TEXT MAY contain characters from character sets other than ISO-
>> 8859-1 [22] only when encoded according to the rules of RFC 2047
>> [14].
>
> I believe that does not actually match server reality, unfortunately...

And one more thing.  Even the text you quoted does not define what
happens if the rules from RFC 2047 are followed incorrectly (e.g.
declaring a UTF-8 encoding but then having byte sequences that are not
valid UTF-8 in the data).  The behavior needs to actually be defined
here for all values of the status text, whichever spec that happens in.

-Boris