Re: WebSockets -- only TCP?

RFC 6455 defines WSP as a TCP protocol [1]

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6455#section-1.5

at present the WebSocket API is nothing more than a thin layer over WSP,
and references WSP for all protocol bindings;

there is no "discarding" of UDP involved; it simply is/was not a
requirement driving WSP;

if someone defines a new flavor of WSP in the future based on UDP, e.g.,
WSPU, then the WebSocket API could be updated to make reference to it;

in conclusion, I don't see any cause to change the WebSocket API draft to
explicitly suggest use of an alternative protocol (to WSP) since none
exists at this time;