Re: [DOM4] NodeList should be deprecated

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:31:16 +1100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>, Adam Klein <adamk@chromium.org>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Erik Arvidsson <arv@chromium.org>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@chromium.org>
Cameron McCormack: > It is probably not feasible to add to
HTMLCollection, because it has a
> named property getter which is not [OverrideBuiltins].  That means that
> all the new properties on the prototype like "concat", "push", etc.
> would begin to shadow any named elements on the collection.

On the other hand it would be great to be able to do things like:

   document.getElementsByTagName("span")
           .map(function(x) { return x.clientWidth });

:(

I am a bit reluctant to special case the visibility of named properties
on HTMLCollection to be something other than the current
[OverrideBuiltins] or non-[OverrideBuiltins] behaviour.