Re: [FileAPI, common] UTF-16 to UTF-8 conversion

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Arun Ranganathan
<aranganathan@mozilla.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Arun Ranganathan <
> aranganathan@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>  On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Arun Ranganathan <
>> aranganathan@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>
>> Should the actual UTF-8 encoding algorithm be specified by HTML?
>>
>> I don't know, since I think that Unicode to UTF-8 is pretty common.
>> Might help if it was part of the common infrastructure.
>>

> what needs to be specified that isn't already found in Unicode [1], clause
> D92, p92ff?
>
> [1] http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.1.0/ch03.pdf
>

> I think that gets us by.  Do you think we need a reference in FileAPI?  Or
> can we merely say to encode as UTF-8 and leave it to implementations (a
> reasonable assumption IMHO).

I think you should have a reference. You could either use the following, as
does HTML5:

[RFC3629]UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO
10646<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3629>,
F. Yergeau. IETF.

or you could modify the language in Section 4 Terminology and Algorithms to
read:

The terms and algorithms *UTF-8*, <fragment>, <scheme>, document, unloading
document cleanup steps, event handler attributes, event handler event type,
origin, same origin, event loops, task, task source, URL, and queue a task are
defined by the HTML specification
[HTML<http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#HTML>
].

HTML

A conforming user
agent<http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#dfn-conforming-implementation>
MUST
support at least the subset of the functionality defined in HTML that this
specification relies upon; in particular, it must support event
loops<http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#event-loops>
 and event handler
attributes<http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#event-handler-attributes>.
[HTML <http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#HTML>]