Re: [IndexedDB] Numeric constants vs enumerated strings

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 00:34:40 +0100, Israel Hilerio <israelh@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> We have several internal and external teams implementing solutions on
> IndexedDB for IE10 and Win8.  They are looking for a finalized spec
> sooner than later to ensure the stability of their implementations.
> Every time we change the APIs, they have to go back and update their
> implementations.  This activity sets them back and makes them loose
> confidence in the platform.

Hmmmm...

If you implement the fallback that Sicking mentioned, just changing the
value of the e.g. IDBTransaction.READ_WRITE from 1 to "read-write" (or
whatever we'll choose to call it), then all that code will continue to
work.

It can be treated like an internal change. All the code I've seen from
Microsoft so far has used the constants (which is how it's supposed to be
used anyway) - so updating then won't be necessary.

This is a change for the huge masses of people which will come after us
and *not* be as wise and just input 1 or 2 or whatever that doesn't tell
us anything about what the code is doing.

IMHO it's a very small price to pay for a bigger gain.

--
Odin Hørthe Omdal · Core QA, Opera Software · http://opera.com /