Re: [IndexedDB] Numeric constants vs enumerated strings

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:21:16 +0100
To: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com>, "Israel Hilerio" <israelh@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Joshua Bell" <jsbell@chromium.org>, Odin Hørthe Omdal <odinho@opera.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 00:34:40 +0100, Israel Hilerio <israelh@microsoft.com>
> I believe we can discuss this proposal and others at a later time as
> part of IDB v2.

There's no v2 on the web. We still live with the decisions made by browser
engineering teams years ago. How <table><div> is parsed, how
XMLHttpRequest is named, how readyState is sometimes a number and
sometimes a string, etc.

Indexed DB is not widely deployed yet, still very much a draft, and
changing away from numeric constants is a bit more than stylistic change.
It will affect code readability and maintainability of all Indexed DB code
not yet written which far exceeds whatever is being worked on now.

Anne van Kesteren