Re: [IndexedDB] Numeric constants vs enumerated strings

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:21:16 +0100
To: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com>, "Israel Hilerio" <israelh@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Joshua Bell" <jsbell@chromium.org>, Odin Hørthe Omdal <odinho@opera.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 00:34:40 +0100, Israel Hilerio <israelh@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I believe we can discuss this proposal and others at a later time as
> part of IDB v2.

There's no v2 on the web. We still live with the decisions made by browser
engineering teams years ago. How <table><div> is parsed, how
XMLHttpRequest is named, how readyState is sometimes a number and
sometimes a string, etc.

Indexed DB is not widely deployed yet, still very much a draft, and
changing away from numeric constants is a bit more than stylistic change.
It will affect code readability and maintainability of all Indexed DB code
not yet written which far exceeds whatever is being worked on now.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/