Re: [FileAPI] createObjectURL isReusable proposal

From: Arun Ranganathan <aranganathan@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:12:09 -0800 (PST)
To: Bronislav Klučka <Bronislav.Klucka@bauglir.com>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org
Bronislav,

> I could also go with reverse approach, with createObjectURL being
> oneTimeOnly by default
> createObjectURL(Blob aBlob, boolean? isPermanent)
> instead of current
> createObjectURL(Blob aBlob, boolean? isOneTime)
> the fact, that user would have to explicitly specify, that such URL
> is
> permanent should limit cases of "I forgot to release something
> somewhere"... and I thing could be easier to understant, that
> explicit
> request for pemranent = explicit release. Would break current
> implementations, sure, but if we are considering changes....

So, having these URLs be "oneTimeOnly" by default itself has issues, as Glenn (and Darin) point out:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012JanMar/0377.html

The existing model makes that scenario false by default, trading off anything "racy" against culling strings.

I actually believe that strings for URLs may be short-lived, depending on how the URL API comes along [1] and depending on the discussion on extending interfaces.  Both Chrome and Fx have create* and revoke* implemented now; the new options parameter adds some convenience which I think is worth it.

-- A*

[1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/url/raw-file/tip/Overview.html