Re: [IndexedDB] Numeric constants vs enumerated strings

From: Joshua Bell <jsbell@chromium.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:02:56 -0800
To: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 4:57 AM, Odin HÝrthe Omdal <odinho@opera.com> wrote:

> I propose that we change the numeric constants to enumerated strings in
> the IndexedDB spec.
> Reasoning is echoing the reasoning that came up for WebRTC:
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/**Public/public-script-coord/**
> 2012JanMar/0166.html<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2012JanMar/0166.html>
> >

> So. What do you think? :-)

I don't have strong feelings about this proposal either way. Ignoring the
*Sync APIs, this would involve changing:

IDBDatabase.transaction() - mode
IDBObjectStore.openCursor() - direction
IDBIndex.openCursor() - direction
IDBIndex.openKeyCursor() - direction

Attributes (read-only):

During a transition period, implementations of the methods could take
either a number or a string. The attributes are not so easy; it would be a
breaking change. Fortunately, those attributes are generally informative
rather than critical for app logic (at least, in the code I've seen), so
the impact is likely to be low. JS authors could check for both values
(e.g. request.readyState === IDBRequest.DONE || request.readyState ===
"done"), just as authors must work around implementation differences today.
So IMHO it's plausible to make this change with little impact.