Re: [Clipboard] Processing model feedback (and other)

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:08:31 +0000
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org
Siterer Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>:

>>> Except there's no such thing as default action really...
>>
>> IMO this is well established terminology and easy to understand for
>>  script authors because of the preventDefault() method name.. I've
>> changed the text slightly though.
>
> I don't really think the term is that clear personally and it's not in
> DOM4 at the moment. The whole notion that an event would have a default
> action is flawed. A particular action might have a default action
> preceded by an event that if canceled, cancels the default action, but
> I think it would be clearer to just say fire the event and if it was
> canceled do not do this next step. Which is how DOM4 is modeled.

I think I see your point now from a technical point of view, but I
think we're close to splitting hairs here. The term "default action"
is simply a sort of language shortcut to say what happens when the
event is not cancelled. It's well established (just like I'd argue
"MIME type" is) and I see no real problems caused by its usage.

/Hallvord