Re: [Clipboard] Processing model feedback (and other)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:46:12 +0100
To: public-webapps@w3.org, "Hallvord R. M. Steen" <hallvord@opera.com>
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:45:07 +0100, Hallvord R. M. Steen
<hallvord@opera.com> wrote:
>>> "Firing an event" surely should be specified elaborately elsewhere. I
>>> added another reference to DOM2-Events (though "fire" probably is used
>>> without being precisely spec'ed there..).
>> Yes, you need to reference DOM4. Otherwise EventInit and such are
>> undefined too.
> Oops, haven't fixed this yet. What is the best (most stable) URL for DOM
> Core / DOM 4 / whatever it's called nowadays?

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html and it's called

Why do you also reference DOM 2 Events? That's confusing and not needed.

>>> Seems pretty readable and precise to me as-is.
>> Except there's no such thing as default action really...
> IMO this is well established terminology and easy to understand for
> script authors because of the preventDefault() method name.. I've
> changed the text slightly though.

I don't really think the term is that clear personally and it's not in
DOM4 at the moment. The whole notion that an event would have a default
action is flawed. A particular action might have a default action preceded
by an event that if canceled, cancels the default action, but I think it
would be clearer to just say fire the event and if it was canceled do not
do this next step. Which is how DOM4 is modeled.

Anne van Kesteren