Re: Synchronous postMessage for Workers?

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 06:11:03 -0800
To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
CC: ext David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On 2/14/2012 5:31 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> On 2/14/12 2:02 AM, ext David Bruant wrote:
>> Le 13/02/2012 20:44, Ian Hickson a écrit :
>>> Should we just tell authors to get used to the async style?
>> I think we should. More constructs are coming in ECMAScript. Things
>> related to language concurrency should probably be left to the core
>> language unless there is an extreme need (which there isn't as far as I
>> know).
>
> David - if you have some recommended reading(s) re concurrency
> constructs that are relevant to this discussion and are coming to
> ECMAScript, please let me know.
>
> (I tend to agree if there isn't some real urgency here, we should be
> careful [with our specs]).

We could still use some kind of synchronous semantic for passing
gestures between frames.

This issue has popped up in various ways with Google Chrome extensions.

We can't have a user click on frame (a) and have frame (b) treat it as a
gesture, for things like popup windows and the like.

This is of course intentional, for the purpose of security. But if both
frames want it to happen, it's a side effect of the asynchronous nature
of postMessage.