Re: connection ceremony for iframe postMessage communications

On 2/10/2012 3:44 PM, John J Barton wrote:
> Thanks. As a hint for the next person, it seems like the asymmetric
> messages (parent 'ping', iframe 'load') is easier than symmetric
> ('hello'/'ack')
>
> I think there are two more cases. Because the messages are all async,
> the 'it gets missed case" can be "it gets delayed". That causes
> additional messages.

I've been pursuing something like this for transferring content between
frames. That's part of why I was excited to see Web Intents taking off.
I also went with a ping mechanism for messaging.

I recommend taking this thread over to the Web Intents list and
examining it there. I see every reason to want a loose idea of what Web
Intents over postMessage would look like.
They have a shim mechanism for demo purposes and backwards
compatibility, but they don't have the same focus you do (or I do), on
iframe postMessage.

-Charles