Re: Installing web apps

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:01:36 +0000
To: Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>
Cc: Adrienne Porter Felt <apf@berkeley.edu>, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>

On Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:

> The correlation between the number of permissions requested by the app and
> the percentage of users which will avoid using the app altogether is
> strong, so much so that we're warning devs against asking for too many
> permissions upfront:

big ask, but can you be more precise here? Like 5 permission requests = 80% drop off. Also, can you really correlate installs with permissions (it might be something else that is putting users off, which consequently correlates with the drop off in installs -or how did you statistically determine causality which prompted FB to warn developers to reduce the number of permission requests? and do you see a change in behavior after having asked developers not to ask for too many permissions?).