Re: [webcomponents] HTML Parsing and the <template> element

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Erik Arvidsson <arv@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 14:10, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
>> ... Do you have a concrete example of
>> where nested <template> declarations are required?
>
> When working with tree like structures it is comment to use recursive templates.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mdv/source/browse/use_cases/tree.html

I'm not sure I fully understand how templates work, so please forgive
me if I'm butchering it, but here's how I could imagine changing that
example:

=== Original ===

<ul class="tree">
  <template iterate id=t1>
    <li class="{{ children | toggle('has-children') }}">{{name}}
      <ul>
        <template ref=t1 iterate=children></template>
      </ul>
    </li>
  </template>
</ul>

=== Changed ===

<ul class="tree">
  <template iterate id=t1>
    <li class="{{ children | toggle('has-children') }}">{{name}}
      <ul>
        <template-reference ref=t1 iterate=children></template-reference>
      </ul>
    </li>
  </template>
</ul>

(Obviously you'd want a snappier name than <template-reference> to
reference another template element.)

I looked at the other examples in the same directory and I didn't see
any other examples of nested <template> declarations.

Adam