Fwd: Re: [FileAPI] createObjectURL isReusable proposal

From: Bronislav Klučka <Bronislav.Klucka@bauglir.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 18:14:16 +0100
To: public-webapps@w3.org

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [FileAPI] createObjectURL isReusable proposal
Date: 	Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:51:55 +0100
From: 	Bronislav Klučka <Bronislav.Klucka@bauglir.com>
To: 	Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>

On 30.1.2012 17:29, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>  On 1/30/12 11:15 AM, Bronislav Klučka wrote:
>>  In this case you got me... what sense does it make? If there is no
>>  reference to original blob or any other object using that URL, why is it
>>  kept?
>
>  Because given a string there is no way to tell whether someone has a
>  "reference" it.
>
>  Consider this:
>
>    window.myStash = URL.createObjectUrl(blob).split("");
>    img.src = window.myStash.join("");
>
>    // much later one
>    otherImg.src = window.myStash.join("");
>
>  This is a simple case, of course.  The url could be stored in all
>  sorts of other ways, because strings are very very mungable from JS.

Sorry, of course I understand, we do not only have arbitrary string
created by this method, but there can be Blob itself hanging in memory...
well 3 options are here
1/ leave URL revokable (affecting blob)
2/ create something like Blob.dispose() (affecting URL)
3/ assign blob to media element (but I do not like the SRC attribute for
that, and it causes issues with HTML source text)

nice :)

Brona