Re: [File API] Draft for Review

From: Mike Taylor <miket@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 23:09:29 -0600
To: "Glenn Maynard" <glenn@zewt.org>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Arun Ranganathan" <aranganathan@mozilla.com>, "Web Applications Working Group WG (public-webapps@w3.org)" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 22:54:39 -0600, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Mike Taylor <miket@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> As someone who occasionally has to look up if the 3rd argument to
>> XMLHttpRequest.open() means sync or async, I agree with Tab. And that's
>> something I've been using for years. Forget about synthetic keyboard
>> events
>> [1]:
>>
>> event.initKeyEvent("keypress", true, true, null, null, false, false,
>> false, false, 9, 0);
>>

> This is showing exactly my point: the null, 9 and 0 arguments are just as
> mysterious as the boolean arguments.  It's hard to understand because
> there
> are too many arguments, not because they're boolean.

Yes, synthetic keypress have multiple problems--which is why we all use
libraries to not have to author them by hand.

Regardless, this doesn't change the fact that
window.URL.createObjectURL(file, true) is more opaque (and for me, harder
to remember) than:

window.URL.createObjectURL(file, {oneTimeOnly: true})

or something magical like window.URL.createObjectURL(file).oneTimeOnly()

Cheers,

--
Mike Taylor
Opera Software