RfC: Draft of New Charter for the HyBi WG

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:36:48 -0500
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
CC: Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>, Gabriel Montenegro <Gabriel.Montenegro@microsoft.com>, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, SM <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
Hi All,

The HyBi WG chairs created a "new charter for the HyBi wg" and asked
their WG for comments [1]. The draft charter includes the following:

[[
The following extensions and optimizations are currently in scope:

     1. Define a per-frame compression extension to improve the
bandwidth usage.

     2. Define a multiplexing extension to improve the scalability of
the WebSocket protocol

     3. Define timeout-handling capabilities to reduce the chattiness of
the protocol
]]

Since the HyBi WG expects to continue its liaison with WebApps, the HyBi
chairs would appreciate any comments WebApps has on their draft charter
[1] as well as feedback on whether they should work on other extensions
or optimizations.

Additionally, we would also appreciate feed on whether we expect these
extensions to have any impact on the WebSocket API itself.

-AB

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09393.html