Re: Selection of a document that doesn't have a window

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:15:58 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, W3C WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
On 1/17/12 4:55 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 1/13/12 2:37 AM, Simon Pieters wrote:
>>> HTML uses this concept in lots of places, e.g.
>>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#cookie-free-document-object
>>>
>>> "A Document that has no browsing context."
>>
>> Ah, that's better than using defaultView (because behavior for
>> defaultView on navigation and such is not defined in the spec and is not
>> consistent across browsers).
>
> What's undefined about defaultView?

The main question is what, if anything, happens to it on document unload
or destruction of the browsing context.  If I read the spec right,
defaultView should just stay the same across those operations, but it's
not clear to me whether it's on purpose.  It certainly doesn't match UAs
in all cases, but UAs don't match each other very well either.

-Boris