Re: Use Cases for Connectionless Push support in Webapps recharter

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 23:03:11 +0000 (UTC)
To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
cc: ext Bryan Sullivan <blsaws@gmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Arthur Barstow wrote:

> Hixie - what are your thoughts on these UCs and how they would be
> spec'ed? For example, would they be in a different spec, an L.next type
> spec?

Well there's two parts to it: the protocol, and the API. If there's an
existing protocol for this and the browser vendors are interested in
implementing it, I see no reason why we couldn't support this alongside
the current text/event-stream-based API in the HTML standard, either as
part of the same API or as a separate API (like WebSockets).

If it needs a new protocol, then that should probably be addressed first.

HTH,