From: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:47:06 -0500
To: "Hallvord R. M. Steen" <hallvord@opera.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, "Michael A. Puls II" <shadow2531@gmail.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Hallvord R. M. Steen
<hallvord@opera.com> wrote:
> Probably a stupid question, but one I've always wanted to ask: couldn't we
> default to a different, smaller, possibly 0 margin for P when in editable
> content?

As Markus says: it breaks WYSIWYG.  The idea of contenteditable is you
can write a blog post or something in a contenteditable area, then
post the resulting HTML to your web page in non-editable form and have
it look the same.  Having contenteditable behave differently means
that you write the post, get it looking the way you want it -- and
then suddenly when you post it, it looks different for no obvious
reason.

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> Currently the editing options available, other than enabling and disabling
> contenteditable, use the execCommand API. I don't see why we should switch
> to attributes for new editing options. To make editing options per editing
> host, I prefer this proposal:
>
> . . .

As do I -- I suggested new attributes before I saw Ojan's suggestion.

> Indeed, e.g. shift+enter doesn't break out of lists, so it's not equivalent.
> Making it equivalent would be adding some complexity.

Good point.  I didn't think of that.

> So what's the use case? :-) If none are presented, I object to adding it
> based on the Avoid Needless Complexity and Solve Real Problems design
> principles.

Agreed.  That some authors are using it is not a strong enough reason
to support it.