Selection of a document that doesn't have a window

From: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:58:58 -0500
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, W3C WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
What does document.implementation.createHTMLDocument("").getSelection() return?

* IE9 returns a Selection object unique to that document.
* Firefox 12.0a1 and Opera Next 12.00 alpha return the same thing as
document.getSelection().
* Chrome 17 dev returns null.

I prefer IE's behavior just for the sake of simplicity.  If we go with
Gecko/WebKit/Opera, we have to decide how to identify which documents
get their own selections and which don't.  The definition should
probably be something like "documents that are returned by the
.document property of some window", but I have no idea if that's a
sane way to phrase it.

So should the spec follow IE?  If not, what definition should we use
to determine which documents get selections?