Re: Speech Recognition and Text-to-Speech Javascript API - seeking feedback for eventual standardization

From: Satish S <satish@google.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:04:04 +0000
To: "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>
Cc: olli@pettay.fi, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, Peter Beverloo <peter@chromium.org>, Glen Shires <gshires@google.com>, public-webapps@w3.org, public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org, Dan Burnett <dburnett@voxeo.com>

> > It doesn't matter too much to me in which group the API will be developed
> > (except that I'm against doing it in HTML WG).
> > WebApps is reasonably good place (if there won't be any IP issues.)
>
> Starting the work in a Community Group is another option to consider. A
> really good option, actually. It's certainly the quickest way to get it
> started and to get a W3C draft actually published, and the route that would
> entail the least amount of unnecessary process overhead. The work could
> later be graduated to, e.g., the WebApps WG if/when needed.

The Community Groups [1] page says they are for "anyone to socialize their
ideas for the Web at the W3C for possible future standardization".

The HTML Speech Incubator Group has done a considerable amount of work and
the final report [2] is quite detailed with requirements, use cases and API
proposals. Since we are interested in transitioning to the standards track
now, working with the relevant WGs seems more appropriate than forming a
new Community Group.

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/about/#cg
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/XGR-htmlspeech/