From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:50:34 -0800
To: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Cc: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, "Michael A. Puls II" <shadow2531@gmail.com>, Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch>, "Hallvord R. M. Steen" <hallvord@opera.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name> wrote:

>  On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org> wrote:
> > Single br tag is shorter than pairs of div tags when serialized.
>
> True, but only slightly, and the difference is even smaller if you use
> justify the extra complexity of another mode.  Are there other
> reasons?

p has default margins. That alone is enough for us not to adopt p as
the default paragraph separator. Also, unfortunately, there are many legacy
contents that rely on the fact webkit uses div as the paragraph separator
so we need a global or per editing-host switch regardless.

I almost want a global switch to toggle between legacy UA-specific behavior
and new spec-compliant behavior.

- Ryosuke