Re: [XHR] responseType "json"

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 17:20:04 +0100, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> Anne: There's one related change I'd suggest.  Currently, if a JSON
> response says "Content-Encoding: application/json; charset=Shift_JIS",
> the explicit charset will be silently ignored and UTF-8 will be used.
> I think this should be explicitly rejected, returning null as the JSON
> response entity body.  Don't decode as UTF-8 despite an explicitly
> conflicting header, or people will start sending bogus charset values
> without realizing it.

I don't think there's a single media type parameter that causes fatal
error handling so I do not think that would be a good idea. E.g.
text/event-stream;charset=hz-gb-2312 will give you utf-8 decoding too.
text/html;charset=foobar will give you whatever is the default in HTML,
etc.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/