Re: [selectors-api] RfC: LCWD of Selectors API Level 1; deadline July 19

Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:

> This is a Request for Comments for the June 28 Last Call Working Draft
> of Selectors API Level 1:
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-selectors-api-20120628/>
>
> The comment deadline is July 19 and all comments should be sent to the
> public-webapps@w3.org list with a Subject: prefix of " [selectors-api]".

Section 1 contains a unwanted duplication: "With these methods methods,"

There is something odd about the way matching is defined:

Section 6 defines "matching Element node" directly in terms of the [SELECT]
reference, then section 6.4 defines what it means to "evaluate a selector"
but this is never referenced.  I think section 6 needs to define "matching
Element node" as something like:

> An Element node is a "matching Element node" if the result of invoking the
> *evaluate a selector* algorithm with the selector and the Element bnode is
> true.

And then have the matching rules in a separate explanatory sentence in 6.4:

> Selectors are evaluated against the given element according to the rules
> for matching elements defined in Selectors [SELECT].

This would seem to be the original intention - the algorithm was added, but
then section 6 wasn't updated (it's the same as in the previous CR)  Did an
edit go missing somewhere?

--
Stewart Brodie
Team Leader - ANT Galio Browser