Bikesheds Re: [selectors-api] Consider backporting find() behavior to querySelector()

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:54:36 +0200
To: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Elliott Sprehn" <esprehn@gmail.com>, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com>, "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>, "public-webapps.w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:26:14 +0200, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> On 2012-06-20 10:42, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>> In other words we have the same arguments that we had five years ago,
>> when we settled on querySelector as the one that provoked least
>> objection.
>> But spending another few months arguing about it hasn't proven that we
>> are any wiser, nor (importantly) any closer to agreement.
>
> This is why it should be an editorial decision, not a group vote.  The
> least-objectionable alternative is rarely the best alternative, and
> trying to please everyone is a fool's errand.  Hopefully, this time, the
> group will let me, as editor, evaluate the options and supporting
> rationale and make a decision based on that.

Yeah, if that works, it's fine. Back then we were in a position where
people cared enough to object, so we chose a different way of making most
of the people unhappy that drew less objection...

cheers

Chaals (You think this is bad, people bikeshed how I should write
*my*name* ...)

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan noen norsk