Re: [selectors-api] Consider backporting find() behavior to querySelector()

From: Dave Methvin <dave.methvin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:52:17 -0400
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>, "public-webapps.w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>

> It should be noted that JQuery/sizzle does not use querySelector() at all,
> AFAICS. It only uses querySelectorAll() and sometimes switches to
> .getElementById() or document.body.

I took a look at using querySelector as an optimization a while back but it
did not seem to make a significant difference in speed, at least once the
library overheads were included. This test html is based on the
msn.comhome page to be representative of a big real-life document.
http://jsperf.com/findone-vs-findall

The reason we switch to getElementById is because querySelectorAll is much
slower for that case. qSA can retrieve multiple elements in invalid
documents with duplicate IDs, but that's not a case we are worried about.