Re: [selectors-api] Consider backporting find() behavior to querySelector()

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 16:57:17 +0200, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu
> <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
>> (12/06/18 22:45), Simon Pieters wrote:
>>>
>>> I think we should instead either fix the old API (if it turns out to not
>>> Break the Web) or live with past mistake (if it turns out it does). To
>>> find out whether it Breaks the Web (and the breakage can't be evanged),
>>> I suggest we ship the backwards-incompatible change to querySelector()
>>> in nightly/aurora (or equivalent) in one or more browsers for some time.
>>
>> I didn't read through all the QSA threads, but isn't the function name
>> itself a mistake that many people don't want to live with?
>
> We have lots of shipped APIs with worse names. I think we should live with
> past mistakes, try not to make them again, and move on.

This is not a good argument.  qSA is used often enough, and has a long
enough name, that the name is actually a pretty significant
misfeature.  This is a pretty core API, and both it and its precursors
(getElementByID, etc.) are very commonly renamed by libraries
precisely because you need a very short name for such a commonly used
function.

~TJ