Re: [manifest] screen sizes, Re: Review of Web Application Manifest Format and Management APIs

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:11:35 +0200
Cc: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: "Anant Narayanan" <anant@mozilla.com>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>
On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 14:39:35 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Anant Narayanan <anant@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
>> Well, we haven't received this request from developers explicitly yet,
>> but one can imagine a situation in which a developer makes an app only
>> for mobile phones (Instagram?) and doesn't want users to use it on
>> desktops.
>> Even though it'll technically work, it might look ugly due to scaling.
>
> Shouldn't it be up to the user to refrain from using ugly apps instead
> of the developer preventing them?

I agree with Henri.

I certainly don't support this use case where it doesn't have any real
requests to back it up.

There are cases where a user chooses for some important reason (e.g.
accessibility) to use the "wrong" app on their device, and not supporting
*that* use case would be a serious change from how the Web is generally
expected to work. In the tradition of the Web, authors are given
information to help them "propose", but it is users who "dispose" - decide
what it is they will actually use.

                             je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan
noen
norsk