RE: [selectors-api] Consider backporting find() behavior to querySelector()

From: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:10:24 +0000
To: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
CC: public-webapps.w3.org <public-webapps@w3.org>
> From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu [mailto:kennyluck@csail.mit.edu]
>
> (12/06/18 22:45), Simon Pieters wrote:
> > I think we should instead either fix the old API (if it turns out to
> > not Break the Web) or live with past mistake (if it turns out it
> > does). To find out whether it Breaks the Web (and the breakage can't
> > be evanged), I suggest we ship the backwards-incompatible change to
> > querySelector() in nightly/aurora (or equivalent) in one or more browsers for
> some time.
>
> I didn't read through all the QSA threads, but isn't the function name itself a
> mistake that many people don't want to live with?
>
> I'd rather like to see querySelector() marked as "deprecated" so it doesn't appear
> in tutorials in the future.

Despite being "non-optimal" according to a vocal sub-set of people,
querySelector[All] has been deployed in browsers for around 3-4 years.
I strongly oppose any notion of altering its behavior now.

As to find/findAll, let's just make sure we get the behavior right the
second time so we don't go through this again.