Re: [selectors-api] NAMESPACE_ERR or SYNTAX_ERR when both applied

On 2012-06-18 04:29, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Consider how this is parsed in a depth-first recursive descent parser:
>
>    a|b +,
>
> 1)  The identifier "a" is scanned.  This might be a tag name or a
>      namespace; look at the next token.
> 2)  The symbol '|' is scanned.  Great. "a" was a namespace.  Resolve it.
>
> And you're done.  You have an error and bail out.  You never even got to
> the '+'.

This is a good reason not to strictly define one having precedence over
the other. That leaves 2 options: Leaving it explicitly undefined (only
mildly better than the current situation) or using only syntax error.

Since it seems there are no objections to the latter option, and a few
people in favour of that, I've tentatively updated both drafts to
reflect this.

It now states:

   "If the group of selectors include namespace prefixes that need to be
    resolved, the implementation must raise a SYNTAX_ERR exception"

I also removed the note about non-namespace supporting implementations
throwing a syntax error instead of a namespace error.

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api/#resolving-namespaces
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api2/#resolving-namespaces

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software