Re: [selectors-api] NAMESPACE_ERR or SYNTAX_ERR when both applied

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:18:32 +0800
To: WebApps Working Group <public-webapps@w3.org>
(12/06/17 21:33), Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Always throwing SyntaxError is probably better.

I have no opinion here besides that I think this should be well-defined.

(12/06/17 21:50), Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> I'm not sure what Anne meant, but I'd think we should just always
> require SyntaxError, including for namespace errors.  Do enough people
> really use namespaces that they deserve a separate exception?

Probably no.

> CSS itself treats namespace errors the same as syntax errors in
> stylesheets (right?),

In the Selectors spec, in some sense, yes, but the spec didn't have to
touch the JS stuff so I wouldn't rely on its insights into this.

> so it doesn't make sense to require Selectors
> APIs to distinguish them.

As long as browsers are willing to change this old behavior, agreed.

(By the way, another irrelevant editorial feedback:

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api2/

6.5 3-1 s/dom_relative_selectors_group/dom_selectors_group/ )

Cheers,
Kenny