Re: [Server-Sent Events] Infinite reconnection clarification

From: Odin Hørthe Omdal <odinho@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:53:20 +0200
To: public-webapps@w3.org
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:08:14 +0200, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> It would also make sense for the web app to be able to tell that it's in
> a retrying state.  That is, it's not connected and according to the
> current spec would have received an error, but it's not in an error
> state either (retries are still ongoing), so the app can display that
> it's offline.

Absolutely. The reason I started looking into this was a bug because an
extension developer was using SSE and wanted to know when he lost internet
connectivity straight away. So solution: failing our connection after one
retry as the spec presumably says (although it has been demonstrated here
that it's way too easy to misinterpret ;-) ). But seeing as no-one else
did that, I was not thrilled to go that route.

I agree with Glenn, exposing the retrying state makes lots of sense the
way this is actually implemented.

--
Odin Hørthe Omdal (Velmont/odinho) · Core, Opera Software, http://opera.com