Re: Implied Context Parsing (DocumentFragment.innerHTML, or similar) proposal details to be sorted out

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I believe in this case not changing the way SVG script content tokenizes
> would be best for authors.

For what it's worth, I agree with Henri here. In my experience, spec churn
is the number two way of making a spec fail. I think it's better to have
something that works consistently everywhere than to have things work
different across different browsers and even different versions of the
same browser. That's the effect of spec churn. It also has the effect of
putting test suites in unclear states, which is especially bad for test
suites that have been copied into browser vendors' development
environments (especially if they don't realise the spec has changed), and
more subtly it has the effect of making developers more reluctant to be
first adopters, since they start feeling first adopters have to pay a
higher cost, and it makes authors feel like the specs aren't really worth
anything because they keep changing. Plus, of course, there's the
opportunity cost: making a minor improvement means we're spending lots of
resources (speccing, implementating, testing, documenting, advocating)
that we could instead be spending on making something else a _lot_ better.

(The number one way of making a spec fail is to ignore backwards
compatibility, of course. Which in a way is the same thing, just on a
larger scale.)