Re: [XHR] chunked

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:14:38 +0300
To: public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> Is there a reason not to add "chunked-text" and "chunked-arraybuffer"
>> to the spec right now?
>
> 1. Why not just have
> http://html5labs.interoperabilitybridges.com/streamsapi/ to address
> this case?

It appears that Microsoft's proposal involves potentially buffering
the XHR response body until the Web author-supplied script chooses to
initiate I read from the stream object. Or am I missing something?

The "chunked-text" and the "chunked-arraybuffer" response types are
both simpler than the stream proposal and have the advantage that they
don't involve the browser engine buffering the XHR response body: if
the Web author-provided script fails to handle the chunks as they
arrive, the data is gone and doesn't fill up buffer space.

(Some of my remarks on IRC were confused, because I mistook the
Worker-specific API for the API proposed for the main thread.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi