Re: Implied Context Parsing (DocumentFragment.innerHTML, or similar) proposal details to be sorted out

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> I think the SVG working group should learn to stand by its past
>> mistakes. Not standing by them in the sense of thinking the past
>> mistakes are great but in the sense of not causing further
>> disturbances by flip-flopping.
>
> For what it's worth, I've not seen any flip-floppying on this. Over
> the years that I've asked the SVG WG the detailed question on if they
> prefer to have the parsing model for <scripts> in SVG-in-HTML I've
> consistently gotten the answer that they prefer this.

At the time when SVG parsing was being added to text/html, vocal
members of the SVG working group were adamant that parsing should work
the same as for XML so that output from existing tools that had XML
serializers could be copied and pasted into text/html in a text
editor. Suggestions went as far as insisting a full XML parser be
embedded inside the HTML parser.

For [citation needed], see e.g. Requirement 1 in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Mar/0216.html (not
the only place where the requirement was expressed but the first one I
found when searching the archives) and requirements 1 and 2 as well as
the first sentence under "Summary" in
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/proposals/svg-html/svg-html-proposal.html .

> I'm also not sure how this is at all relevant here given that we
> should do what's best for authors, even when we learn over time what's
> best for authors.

At this point, what's best for authors includes considerations of
consistent behavior across already-deployed browsers (including IE9,
soon IE10 and the Android stock browser) and future browsers.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi