Re: Implied Context Parsing (DocumentFragment.innerHTML, or similar) proposal details to be sorted out

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 13:24:42 +0300
To: Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Scott González <scott.gonzalez@gmail.com>
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com> wrote:
> Do you have a particular concern about making scripts executable?

When a document fragment is inserted into a document and the document
fragment includes multiple external scripts or both in-line and
external scripts, the order in which the scripts execute is not
guaranteed to be the same as when identical markup came from the
network or document.write. I worry that this is a foot gun: the author
is working with markup but the behavior matches the behavior of
working with createElement and appendChild.

I am not suggesting that we should try to change the order in which
the scripts run. I definitely don't want that to be changed. I'm
suggesting that working with markup literals shouldn't be advertised
as a good way to insert scripts into a document.

I see the value of being consistent with jQuery, though. :-(

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi