Re: Feedback on Quota Management API

From: Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 14:07:15 +0000
To: Kinuko Yasuda <kinuko@chromium.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@chromium.org>

On 5/17/12 11:02 AM, "Kinuko Yasuda" <kinuko@chromium.org> wrote:

>Thanks for the feedback!
>
>For context for others, I assume they are comments for the draft pushed
>at:
>https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/quota/Overview.html

I'm super excited to see an API for this is in the works. It's been a much
wanted feature by developers.

Couple of thoughts/questions (sorry for the late feedback, I was on
parental leave):

1. My experience with measuring maximum storage quota in existing
implementations shows that while some implementations share a common quota
across different data stores (e.g. 10 MB for both localStorage and
AppCache on iOS last time I looked), not all do. What's the reasoning
behind enforcing this (is it easier for implementors? Better for
developers?) and is there agreement across implementors that this is the
way forward?

2. If the case is that we're going for a binary choice (i.e. persistent
vs. temp data stores) why not create specific methods for each rather than
pass a constant (or string) as first argument: e.g.:

    navigator.storageInfo.queryTemporaryUsageAndQuota

and

    navigator.storageInfo.queryPersistentUsageAndQuota

That'll avoid having to deal with typos in the first arg, error handling
in that case, etc.

Best,

--tobie