Re: [manifest] Parsing origins, was Re: Review of Web Application Manifest Format and Management APIs

On 05/25/2012 11:11 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what the question means, but origins are essentially a
>>> combination of [protocol]://[hostname]:[port]. Whenever an install is
>>> triggered, the UA must check if the origin of the page triggering the
>>> install is present in this array. * is a valid value for
>>> installs_allowed_from, in which case the UA may skip this check.
>>
>> By parsing I mean which ones win, which ones get discarded, what happens to invalid ones, are they resolved already, etc. in the following:
>>
>> installs_allowed_from: [ "   http://foo/ ", "bar://", 22, "https://foo/bar/#*", "http://foo:80/", "wee!!!", "http://baz/hello there!", "http://baz/hello%20there!"]
>>
>> And so on. So, all the error handling stuff. Or is a single error fatal?
>
> I seem to have missed the context for this thread, but typically
> origins are not parsed.  They're compared character-by-character to
> see if they're identical.  If you have a URL, you can find its origin
> and then serialize it to ASCII or Unicode if you want to compare it
> with another origin.

Ah we could certainly do this, but in our current implementation a
single error is fatal. I do like the idea of not making sure that the
origins are valid, especially for installs_allowed_from.

-Anant