Re: exposing CANVAS or something like it to Web Workers

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 22:36:17 -0400
To: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
CC: "Gregg Tavares (勤)" <gman@google.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
On 5/14/12 10:32 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
>> Yes, I understand that. Canvas 2d text still needs to be able to do
>> things like font fallback, shaping, bidi, etc, etc, etc. last I checked.
>
> Oh, the rendering isn't thread safe either?

Right.  The rendering involves access to style data structures that are
not threadsafe.  It involves caching shaped textruns and such; that
cache is not threadsafe.  The actual shaper may or may not be
threadsafe.  The bidi code is not threadsafe.

These are all solvable issues... on some timescale.  ;)

-Boris