Re: [webcomponents] Template element parser changes => Proposal for adding DocumentFragment.innerHTML

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 22:33:10 +0000 (UTC)
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Scott Gonz√°lez <scott.gonzalez@gmail.com>
cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, 10 May 2012, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> > Yes, I understand that. But what's the use case?
>
> The use-case is to provide a more convenient API for developers.
>
> The whole purpose of this thread is to provide a convenience API which
> provides context-free parsing. If we don't care about providing such
> convenience for authors we should just tell them to use the
> already-defined .innerHTML or a custom HTML parser and this whole thread
> is just moot.

My understanding is that the context for this thread is how to support
<template>. Neither innerHTML nor a custom HTML parser will help for that.

On Thu, 10 May 2012, Scott GonzŠlez wrote:

> Why is simplicity not enough of an answer?

It's a fine answer. But I don't think magical APIs are simple. Simplicity
in this case IMHO argues for explicitly selected context.