Re: [webcomponents] Custom Elements Spec

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Scott González <scott.gonzalez@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Accessibility is hard.
>
> What makes it hard here is that you have to implement everything from
> scratch. You have to implement keyboard support, mapping to the
> accessibility API (WAI-ARIA), etc. Given that those code paths will
> not be frequently used on most sites (including by the sites'
> developers) it's not really surprising they either won't work at all
> or are buggy.

This indeed would be awful. But we don't have to start at ground zero
with custom tags-based elements. The component definition could allow
specifying existing primitive it's derived from ("x-color-picker
inherits from select"), thus providing the foundation for
accessibility semantics.

> I really think we should aim higher than "WAI-ARIA can be used,
> mission accomplished" because that will result in a web where few
> pages are accessible. (Given the complexity most likely only those
> where this is a requirement by law or contract.)

I agree.